- To make the sponge, stir together the ingredients in a mixing bowl until the water is absorbed and the mixture forms a thick paste. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow sponge to ferment at room temperature for 4 hours. Keep the sponge in the chiller if it will not to be used immediately.
- In a bowl, whisk together sour cream, fresh milk, and water.
- Dissolve honey, brown sugar and salt in the water-milk mixture. Add the cooked brown rice and sponge.
- In another bowl, mix together bread flour multigrain blend, and yeast.
- Pour liquid mixture into the flour mixture.
- Mix just until flour is hydrated. Gather and press together dough pieces to form a single mass of dough.
- Transfer dough on bench. Knead dough until it is smooth. The dough should pass the film/windowpane test. Round the dough after kneading.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Label.
- Allow dough to ferment for 1 ½ hours.
- Degas dough.
- Shape to a loaf.
- Pan in a greased Pullman pan.
- Proof dough for 1 hour or until it crests above the pan, doming but not mushrooming over the sides.
- Lightly mist the loaf with the water then roll on oats and flax seeds.
- Bake dough at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes. The finished bread should register 190F in the center and be golden brown on top.
- Remove bread from loaf pans and transfer to a cooling rack. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Related Categories: Breads,
Ingredients:Sponge: Whole wheat flour 105g Yeast, instant 1.5g Water 105ml Dough: Sour cream 48ml Fresh milk 48ml Water 57ml Honey 36ml Brown sugar 25g Salt 6g Cooked brown rice, cooled 25g Sponge 190g Bread flour 190g Yeast, instant 4g Multigrain blend: Coarse cornmeal 35g Rolled oats 35g Wheat bran or cracked Wheat 8g Rolled oats for topping 20g